We’ve all been there before – heard about an amazing initiative or cause that we support, but have somehow talked ourselves out of getting anything done for it. Oh, what difference could one person make? How would anyone even know anything had changed, and would there really be an effect?
We are here to let you know that one person really can create an impact even with one simple act! It’s all about creating a ripple effect where one good thing you do will inspire someone else, and so on and so on.
Earth Day has been celebrated around the world since 1990, and in the U.S. since 1970. Earth Day is April 22nd, and in honor of that, below are 22 ways to make a difference on Earth Day, ranging from super easy to really getting out there and inspiring others along with you!
1. Go for a hike! Just take some time to get outside and enjoy the Earth that we are celebrating.
2. Tell someone that today is Earth Day! Spreading awareness is great, because that can create a chain reaction.
3. As you are walking on the streets, pick up a piece of trash and throw it in the garbage can. Every little bit matters, and hopefully someone will see you doing this small act of kindness and be inspired to do the same.
4. Say no to straws and other packaged plastic.
5. Bring a plant into your office space. Not only will the greens help to relieve stress, you are creating fresher air around you.
6. Buy a reusable water bottle. This is a small investment that will benefit your wallet, your health, and the health of the planet.
7. Start a compost pile. Use scraps of food to help fertilize the land around you.
8. Cook and eat a plant based meal. Bonus points for using produce that was grown in your local area!
9. Donate your unused or unwanted clothes to a thrift store. Instead of throwing them away, think of it as recycling.
10. Change your lightbulbs. Something as simple as switching to LED lights can save a lot of energy in your home, helping the earth and helping your bottom line.
11. Do your laundry with cold water. Not only is it better for your clothes, it will save energy!
12. Go paperless! Think of how much paper you will save just by switching your election to paperless for your major bills and communications.
13. Plant something, whether it is a plant, a tree, or herbs and vegetables for your garden this summer.
14. Recycle. Plastic waste is becoming a huge problem not only on land but throughout our oceans and waterways as well. Help to cut this down as much as you can.
15. Go green for the day! Ride a bike, use only environmentally friendly shopping bags and products, and make sure to leave no trace.
16. Invite a friend to go for a walk with you. Bring a trash bag, gloves, and pick up anything you see that should not be on the ground.
17. Volunteer for an upcoming clean up.
18. Organize a clean up of your local park, trail, or beach.
19. Get involved in or create a community garden.
20. Donate money to conservation efforts that work to clean up our Earth.
21. Create a fundraiser on a platform like Facebook to inspire your family and friends to donate to an environmental or conservation group.
22. Set up solar panels on your home / office / local school to harness natural energy from the sun.
As you can see, even the smallest action can help our Earth. Here’s to hoping that Earth Day can bring awareness to the ways that we can treat our planet better. Vow to make a conscious effort to do some of these things throughout the year. Every person can make a difference, and together we can help keep our Earth thriving!